.. Loading ..
Relocation And Custody
The one constant in life is change, especially during or after a divorce. Careers, relationships and children’s needs can prompt a parental relocation that impacts custody or parenting time. These events may require the assistance of an experienced attorney. In some cases, it may be necessary for one parent to move because of:
  • A new job that requires you to move out of town or out of state
  • Remarriage or a new relationship that involves a move
  • A better school situation for your kids

In general, a parent needs to get a judge’s permission before moving away with his or her child. In most cases, the child’s other parent needs to consent to a relocation that violates the current divorce or custody order (which often sets a geographical restriction that determines how far away a custodial parent may move).

Get Legal Advice If Your Situation Has Changed — Or Your Ex Wants To Move

The attorneys of Harris Cook, LLP, can provide the legal advice and representation you need. We can answer questions that are specific to your situation, like:

  • What rights do I have if I want to move out of Texas?
  • How far away can I move with my child without having to go to court?
  • What if I don’t want my spouse to move to another city with my child?
  • Will moving have an impact on my child support arrangements?
  • Can my relocation issue be resolved outside of court? Can mediation be used?

Every situation is different. Our firm has extensive experience with challenging custody matters of all kinds.

Contact Harris Cook, LLP | Get Your Questions Answered

Contact our office to schedule a consultation about your custody or visitation concerns. Our attorneys can answer your questions and help you develop a plan of action. We are located in Arlington, Mansfield and Flower Mound, Texas.

*David L. Cook is Board-Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Harris Cook, LLP services all areas including Arlington, Bedford, Saginaw, Benbrook, Dalworthington Gardens, Forest Hill, Keller, Colleyville, Watauga, Kennedale, Westworth Village, Edgecliff Village, Hurst, Euless, Crowley, Richland Hills, Sampson Park, River Oaks, North Richland Hills, Haltom City, White Settlement, Everman, Pantego, Blue Mound, Lake Worth, Rendon, Pelican Bay, Eagle Mountain, Lakeside, and Westover Hills.

Need a Custom Solution?

Talk To A Harris Cook Attorney About Your Legal Needs. We Can Answer Your Specific Questions And Help You Develop A Strategic Plan Of Action.  Contact Our Office To Schedule A Case Evaluation.

Contact Us